Menu Close

Report: Dursley 19 Fairford 33

Newly-promoted Fairford flew into Dursley and flew out with all five points, writes Chris Perrett.

Dursley had a dream start when Cole went over inside 60 seconds to give the home side a 5-0 lead. The visitors hit back three minutes later following a catch and drive from a 15-metre lineout finished well by Richie Craig – the two points were taken by Ben Cohoon. 5-7.

The frenetic start to the game continued. Two minutes later following a kick and chase from pacey winger James Wrona who outpaced Smith to touch down. The two points were added by Cohoon for 5-14 in the space of six first-half minutes.

The game settled down as the Dursley pack began to exert some home pressure, the deficit was reduced following a Lennard penalty on 20 minutes. Lennard converted another penalty from fully 35 metres for 11-14. The home side took the lead on half time following some intelligent play from Smith who kicked through, chased it down and with the rest of the team supplying sustained pressure, Pinker darted over for a half time score of 16-14.

Dursley extended their lead three minutes into the second half following another Lennard penalty, unfortunately this proved to be the home sides last score.

Fairford secured a lineout 30 metres from the try line, Dursley’s pack found themselves in the unusual situation of being driven back following a catch and drive all the way back under their posts, Craig once again finishing the drive off. The conversion from Cohoon made it 19-21. Dursley found themselves down to 14 when Smith received a yellow card for a neck roll on the ground.

Dursley continued to take the game to the visitors, however the loss of Plumridge to injury disrupted the packs dominance of the game. Just when it looked like Dursley would score following some continued pressure, some indiscipline saw a quickly taken penalty kicked through, and with the defence slow to react Mike Wrona scored for the visitors for 19-26.

Fairford were able to dictate the final 10 minutes as the home side began to fade, the final score summed up Dursley’s day when Boucher, in his attempt to clear the ball resulted in him kicking Ford in the ankle, the ball dropped to the floor allowing debutant Alfie Brown to touch down under the posts. A metronomic Cohoon added the extra points.